Sunday, August 10, 2014

Brocante de Berneuil

Sunday is Brocante (flea market) day in many villages and towns across France. I drove to Berneuil, which is about 40 minutes west of Vendoire to check out their Brocante. It is in the Poitou-Charentes appellation, so instead of the fields of sunflowers and corn you find in our area, you begin to see rows and rows of vineyards. The weather was unpredictable, as I have found it often is in France, and after about an hour the dark clouds came in and a downpour started just before I got back to the car.

I also found a sure-fire way not to over-spend at the flea markets; don't cary cash. I assumed that there would be an ATM somewhere in the village, but forgot that you have to go to a "big town" to find an ATM (for my Big Sandy friends, this would be like no ATM in Big Sandy and you had to drive to Gladewater every time you wanted cash). Unfortunately, €10 doesn't go very far.

Vineyards and the village church

Wine barrels

Jörg is a fan of old stereos, so this one is for him

Keeping watch

I almost bought this for Crillon - Google translation: "weird dog"

Evening light back in Vendoire

Crillon getting some exercise

My favorite spot in the world right now



No comments:

Post a Comment